Noble savage home


This is the home of Joseph Brant or Thayendanegea as he was known to his people. His native American heritage gave him an important role to play in the War of 1812; he served as a liaison between the British and the Iriqois League. Many Europeans considered him to be the perfect example of the Noble Savage due to the influences of his stepfather and his European-style education. I found his personal history to be very interesting and I've heard alot about him since visiting his former home. Especially since it's the 200 year anniversary of the War of 1812.

11 comments:

Olivier said...

belle architecture tout en bois,j'aime beaucoup

Andy said...

One good thing about the war of 1812 it gave Canada and the USA 200 hundred years of peace between them.

VP said...

I have read something about him, and I hope to read something more about such an important figure of the time.

Lowell said...

I taught American history and did not remember today was the anniversary of the War of 1812! I did remember the religious fanatics who flew into the Twin Towers, though.

The name, Joseph Brant, rings some bells though. Interesting story there. I find the phrase, "noble savage" fascinating. Who were the savages that committed genocide on the native American population? :-)

Lois said...

It is a beautiful home. I've never heard of Joseph Brant. Time for a history lesson!

RedPat said...

I'm glad it's being kept up!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm off to look up more about this man, because it seems like I've heard something about him before, but I can't figure out why (My knowledge of Canadian history is abysmally lacking.)...the home is beautiful and I'm glad it's kept up.

Randy said...

That's lovely.

Cezar and Léia said...

Romantic style, the facade is gorgeous!
Léia

Kate said...

I checked Wiki for background information on this man. An amazing man!

Kate said...

It's difficult to think of him as a Mohawk; he certainly does not fit the stereotype!

Post a Comment

I hate the new word verification. Since I have trouble reading those "words", I am assuming others do too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...